Sunday 16 December 2018

How to Paint an Eagle



As with all my animal and human portraits, I started painting the eyes first.  Get that lovely dark orange iris in first before dirtying up the colour with a dark.  Leave a little line of white canvas for the eye's reflective light so that you can fill it in with a very light blue later.  For the dark iris and shadows under the eagle's brow, I initially used just a dark Burnt Umber and Cadmium Red mix.  When the eye was dry, I then darkened up the pupil with a black and went over the eye's reflective light with a touch of white.

Beak next - I washed over her beak with a very light Burnt Sienna.  Burnt Sienna mixed with Ultramarine Blue makes a lovely grey.  I added this to the ends of the beak and for shadows.  I gradually painted darker shadows to sharpen the beak and tiny feathers on her nose.  The gap between the beak is a fairly red/purple, gradually darkening where the gap is wider.

You can see that I have then just loosely brushed in some colours for the feathers.  I'm using Burnt Sienna, Red Gold, lemon and some Cadmium Red for the browny-orange feathers and the Burnt Sienna with Ultramarine Blue for the blue/black feathers.

No comments:

Post a Comment